Friday, February 4, 2011

Twisted Norms

Since when did going out and running 20 miles become no big deal?  Just a few months ago I would have gotten water bottles, shot blocks, clif bars, shoes, socks, garmin, etc. all ready and laid out the night before.  There also was probably some stressing throughout the week about the 'long and never ending' training run.  Now I'm getting ready only a few moments before stepping out the door to go pre plant all the nutrition in bushes.  20 miles no longer makes me squirm - in fact its almost a sigh of relief that it isn't a 30 mile run.  Although I really need to push harder and focus on speed for now I'm just enjoying running.  It's a fun new game that is only possible because of the little amount of time I'm spending biking and swimming these days.  I'm slowly embracing this as I've really been struggling with the lack of biking I'm doing.  I miss Cooper.  I miss being able to push hard on the bike.  There is something about a recovery spin on trashed legs that just doesn't count as riding.  I keep reassuring myself once March 5th comes around, I'll  be back training for tris at full speed - that is if I can keep on top of my never ended schoolwork and clinicals/work.

Back to the basics: no music, no compression sleeves, and old shoes.  It felt pure and simple.

After a horrible head cold for four days I figured it was time to treat myself and everyone at work benefited.  Spudnut donuts really are the best around.
 

Post 20 miler in muggy and damp conditions.  I'm not sure how it happened but I am very thankful I avoided the rain.

It amazes me how much pain chaffing can cause.  I've worn these shorts a million times yet this time they decided they wanted to rub.  Arg!

No comments:

Post a Comment