Saturday, February 2, 2013

Don't Talk To Me

Phil and I just finished a comfortable 16 miler.  We ran the same route as last week and started about the same time.  Both of us ran strong and his average HR was in the 150s compared to 170s last week.  I have a sense that in about two weeks he'll be flying by me and I'll be struggling to keep him in sight.  But as far as today, I felt like I could have kept running another 10 - ok maybe 5 miles.  That's a good feeling.  We picked up the pace the last 1.75 miles which felt ok.  About a half mile into the pick up I turned to Phil to motion for him to pick it up with me.  His response: "Don't talk to me."  Classic.  The run was pretty uneventful but I was surprised at just how many people were out on the roads.  There must have been several training  groups for the upcoming local marathon that I was not aware of.  The cooler weather (low 40s) didn't feel that bad and my jacket found a home in a bush about a mile into the run.  I'm glad I didn't ditch the hat or gloves as I was the perfect temp with them.  I continue to make myself eat and drink as if I was racing meaning I eat every two miles and take a few sip of Gatoraid at the same time.  This method works well for me alternating between two shot blocks and a 1/4 of a clfif bar.  Today there was only a slight problem: my shot blocks froze making them stick to my teeth.  The last time that happened was at Ironman Florida 2010. 

Hording the Gatoraid post run by double fist-ing.  Not really but I am thankful I have a stash of powered gatoraid to keep the refrige stocked.
  

A short ride after the run.  Reverse bricks are the only time I have a slightly better than pathetic cadance on the trainer.  I try to take advantage of this if I have anything left in my legs.

I finished off the day at the pool where I haven't been spending much time.  I got called out by a fellow swimmer (man who never swims less than 90 min and laps me every 200 or so) for never being there anymore and when I am there not staying very long.  Ouch but true.  He gave me some really good advice that I've heard in the past but needed the reminder.  Rather than pointing out everything I do wrong he picked a few key points.  He suggested I keep my head up because I look down to much making my body go up and down in the water and not just forward.  The other thing he suggested is for me to really practice reaching with my arms.  To do this he said count my strokes and use my core like in palates to turn, stretch, and reach.  Sounds great but me and palates don't mesh.   I'll listen to him though because the swim team coach who is often at the pool at the same time as me always tells me to stretch out, bend my elbow, and pull.

No comments:

Post a Comment