Monday, February 11, 2013

First 20 Mile Run This Training Block


Saturday was a great day!  We traveled up to Little Talbot Island to get in a trail run.  We didn’t know what to expect but thought we’d check it out.  There are four state parks all really close to each other and we thought we were going to run from one to the next doing each one’s individual trails. It looked like each park had between a 3-5 mile trail.  That wasn’t the case.  We ended up only doing four miles of trails.  Hello reality check.  Four miles was enough: it was tough!  Our average mile pace dropped by almost 90 seconds and my HR skyrocketed.  My right toes had a sharp pain in them for about a mile after running through the soft sand.  It was a slap in the face which I needed because I was getting a little too confident I could potentially finish in less than 20 hours.  Lesson learned: need to work harder.  I did enjoy the first 5 miles in the park before it even opened and the pine straw portions of the trail.  The rest of the run was all on road. 

Nutrition was ok until the last hour.  Ate and drank every two with one quick refill stop at mile 9.  I really needed more fluids for the end.  I didn’t realize how windy it was until our turn around point.   When we headed back north for 3 miles (13-16) it was incredibly windy and difficult.  I don’t know what stole my thoughts more: the crazy wind or the dramatic lean of the road which I was worried I would pay for later.  Things became a little more doable when Phil took over the lead and I tried to draft off him.  He was in his own world singing and ‘naying’ when he was tired or pushing.  Although focusing on him and not leading was easier I never recovered from the windy three mile push.

I had nothing else at the end and could barely muster anything close to a sprint the last 1.5 miles.  I think I maybe dropped 15 seconds.  At least I tried.  I was so proud of Phil as he ran ahead and had a strong finish.  My quads were on fire at the end.  We sat on the pavement stretching for awhile when my new friend Richard the park ranger told us we couldn’t park where we were.  We ended up chatting awhile about trails, animals, and parks.  He was a good resource and I’m thankful he stopped to talk to us.  The run adventure had the perfect ending with a delicious and fulfilling hamburger from O’ Brothers.  I can’t wait for the next successful 20+ run.

Gold mind at Ross on Friday night started off the weekend well.  Most of the shorts were 7.99 - steal.

It's been awhile since I've pack to go for a run.  Add four more Gatoraid bottles and I was set.  Glad I didn't forget anything!

Park entrance: about 40 min away.

Felt a little silly wearing my trail gear since we were only on trails for 4 miles. But, I love my giraffe gaiters and will wear them whenever I can.

Quick water bottle refill stop at mile 9.

Where we parked that prompted the park ranger telling us that weren't allow to park there when we were sitting on the road stretching post run.  I would have paid but we arrive an hour before it opened and wanted to get started.  He told us to park across the street where there are no parking signs...hmmm.
 
The park ranger!
   
The tough windy bridge.  This was right after we tried to enter the southern most park and told we couldn't without paying the pedestrian fee.  This is where I finally called Phil out for 'naynaying.'  Whenever he is pushing hard or tired to nays like a horse.  He as no clue how often he does it .  I think it is hilarious: most of the time because it lets me know I'm not the only one suffering. 
Made it back in one piece!

First up: iceing.  Didn't have ice and didn't feel like going to buy some from the store so I tired the next back thing.

 Next up: washing out the bottles.  While at Little Talbot we notice there was a little to much mold floating around in the bottles.  Disgusting but true.

No comments:

Post a Comment