Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Excuse Me Sir...No Cheating

I was determined to make Sunday’s run a good run.  I had so much doubt after Saturdays run that I needed a successful run.  It turned out great!  The plan called for 16 miles but I decided we were going to do 18-20 in the morning.  Well when I reveled that to Phil he wasn’t as onboard as I was.  I can’t blame him though extra miles aren’t always fun.  I don’t think he initially believed me because I could stop laughing while telling him.

Happy.  I could have cared less we were slow.

We started out much slower than yesterday and that was the plan.  I didn’t care about pace: I just wanted no pain and to finish feeling like I could keep going.  All things were good about the run: I didn’t chaff, I had enough fluids, I ate less (1 shot blok every 2 miles with 2 at mile 8 and 14 along with a cliff bar), and I only pooped ONCE!  I even went without my calf sleeves for the first time in months, wore new shorts, and drank water and not gatoraid – all this was done to convince myself today was a new fresh day of running and it was going to be good.

The 'yup we did it' post run pic.

The best part of the run was at the water stop at mile 8.  It was in a local park where three young kids were playing football.  The oldest looked at Phil and said “Excuse me sir do you want to play football.”  He responded with something to the effect of “I don’t play football” but he thinks he said “I can’t play right now.”   Well I can never turn down a football so I got him to throw it to me and threw it back a few times.  Nothing impressive but I loved that the kids had the guts (and manners) to ask so politely.  I knew it was time to go when he under threw it and I had to lean down to get the ball: hello quads: nice of you to remind me you are sore.


Sorta icing while cooling down.

The whole run Phil said he was hurting but he looked fine and was talking without difficulty so I knew I could get him to do the full run with me.  Towards the end of the run Phil was talking about taking off and picking up the pace.  I was all for him doing it but I knew I wouldn’t keep up.  I really wanted to tell him to go to 20 since he felt good enough he could pick up the pace but didn’t want to push my limits: I already had gotten two extra miles from him.   As we were running up the huge hill (ie ramp) I was using my left hand to push myself off the cement blocker.  I heard “No cheating” from behind but I didn’t’ care:  It was helping me get up the hill.  At the top he took off and I just picked up the pace slightly.  So happy to have had a solid run! 

Post run hour long bike.  Nothing special just free spinning to loosen the legs.

Run and bike mostly pain free.  Only mild inner left groin pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment