Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Making Sure I Wasn't dead

3rd Double weekend success.  16 Saturday with another 10 Sunday.  The plan was to start at 1:15 but there was some confusion since Phil didn’t have his phone with him.  At 1:30 I walked outside to sit in front of the condo to see if he showed up.  I didn’t think he would no show without telling me but then again I wasn’t really sure.  Somehow a neighbor let him in a different door just as I came down.  I waited until 1:45 and was about to head out when I saw him walk out of the condo.   He was waiting in my living room because he saw all my stuff laid out for the run and knew I hadn’t left.  Later he said, “I actually checked your bathroom to make sure you weren’t dead: that says a lot about you.”  I think that is hilarious.  He was thinking in terms of dead because I pushed so hard and not dead for (insert your own reason why)…or at least I hope so.  The run itself was really good.  Picked up the pace a little but still felt comfortable.  We even had enough to pick it up the last 1.5 miles – something that is becoming mandatory on all long runs.  Ran in a new area (with imaginary alligators that eat weary runners) around Phil's house and enjoyed looking at new things and not knowing where we were headed.  There was only 18% humidity which is a huge gift in Florida and made it that much more pleasant.  Mild chaffing and salty shirts rounded out the day.

Phil's note he left behind:

All three gatoraids have made their first appearance in the refrigerator: It's game time.
I had a great swim on Sunday pre run testing out the advice I was given on Saturday.  For the first time in a long time I felt like I was gliding on the water.  Love that feeling!  I kept my head slightly up and focused on rolling my shoulders and reaching out long.  It actually worked.

Saturday as I was walking back from the coffee shop I stopped in the park to talk to an elderly gentleman for roughly 45 min.  It was such a pleasant conversation.  He decided about 8 months ago to start making intentional decisions about his life and using the gifts God gave him rather than just going through life and doing the next thing that came up.  He has started having quiet times, reading, painting, enjoying the parks, volunteering and has slowed down.  From a man who worked with the department of defense as a nuclear engineer (I think) he said this was challenging but so rewarding.  As I was walking away there was a little gift on the next bench.

Little surprise left on the next bench over.   I couldn’t help but to stop and thank God for the small things that put a smile on my face and the love He gives.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment