Thursday, February 28, 2013

Double

Yesterday was a blast and the first double run of the training season.  It was completely unplanned.  We started off with 16 miles in the early morning.  The first 5 were incredibly slow: partly because it took me awhile to warm up and partly because it was very dark.  We picked it up no problem and the last three were very solid.  I even surprised Phil when on the last mile I ran up beside him.  Normally he leaves me behind (I tell him to) because he is faster but today I had it in me to comfortably run the last mile at 7:15.  He looked over and smirked and gave me a ‘what are you doing here’ look.  It made it want to keep running on pace.  

Happy to be able to run before heading into work. 

On the run we were almost attacked by a giant black bear or dog.  I’m not sure which.  It came running out from behind a house into the yard barking but thankfully stopped before the street.  I jumped behind Phil like a scary cat and Phil remained calm.  I was slightly surprised that he didn’t scream and run away.  I now feel more safe and protected.  Thanks Phil.  He did however jump later in the run when little dogs barked in the day light.  I think he has things backwards. 

Even though it was cool we still needed a lot of fluids.  Phil stopped at a sprinkler head which took me right back to my Panama City days.  I used to only drink from sprinklers and not even carry water.  At some point on the run we had about a 2 min conversation on how our lives affect those around us.  Phil jokingly said “Look what I sacrifice for you” in reference to sleep and getting up early to meet me.  It got me thinking…I am truly thankful for friends, family, past roommates who have all been apart of my crazy lifestyle. 

I got off work relatively early and threw out the idea of doing intervals last night rather than this morning.  I was concerned that the intervals wouldn’t be as strong at 5am in the dark and on tired legs.  We decided to go for it and I’m so glad.  20 min warm up followed by ½ mile intervals with 3min rest in between then a cool down - a little over 10 miles total.   The first 6 were relatively comfortable and I was able to negative split.  By number 6 I was pushing.  8 was solid.  I was shocked when I saw 6:42 pace for number 9 and was determined to get under 6:30 for the last one.  I did 6:28 but only because Phil hung back and pushed me through it.  I thought I was going to die.  The calves are soo tight and the quads felt like jello.  Success! 

Bam - solid intervals on the second run of the day.

Double run - what - we ran a marathon today - no biggie.

The secret pre-run food: a first and might be used again.

No comments:

Post a Comment