Saturday, February 2, 2013

Struggling Slowly


Today was the first day I felt like I was fried.  I was off a work and went out for a 10 mile run.  Nothing about it was pretty.  From the first step I was struggling.  I spent most of the run trying to figure out why: was it the crazy GI issues that reared its ugly head, the first run in the sun and heat (77) in awhile, the 15-20mph sustain winds, or just the fact that I went so hard last night I wasn’t recovered enough?  It was probably a mix of all four.  I desperately wanted to walk and was rationalizing that it would benefit me to practice walking fast when I’m tired.  But that was not the point of today’s run so I stuck with it.  My motivational pep talk: “Come on Cari: at mile 75-80 on race day you are going to wish you felt this good.  Suck it up and just chug along.”  True and scary.  I use to suffer well on challenging runs but I have lost a little bit (ok most) of that skill: time to get it back.  Most of this race will be mental so I can’t waist time and must start working on that. 

After getting back my body was starving.  Ate almost a whole large pizza all by myself…not the best training food.  I think I was faster when I lived at home because of healthy home cooked meals and not that I was able to train more. 
  
Next up smoothie time.  I love smoothies: all kinds!  The thicker they are the better.  Spoons should be required for all smoothies.  Maybe this should have came before the pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment