Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Smooth Rocks - Saturday Run

“I prefer to use smooth rocks over leaves.”  That was my response to Phil asking me about what I do after I go to the bathroom on a run.  It isn’t ideal but it is my reality.  I was waiting for the run where my GI issues would reappear and well Saturday it was.  Phil and I headed off for a 26.5 mile run after I got off of work.  I was pumped and was feeling pretty good!  It was pretty hot (78) with only a little breeze.  I packed lots of food and wore my backpack for the second time so I could carry enough fluids.  

All the fluids and food pre run.


Excited for my first marathon of this training block.

We stopped at mile 14 to refill fluids and I still felt strong.  That was until mile 18.  The stomach hit hard and I had to find my first bush.  I’m not sure if it was the heat, what I ate prior, too many sugary shot blocks, or not enough liquids.  It was hard to recover and although I wanted to push through Phil was fading also.  I told him we had to push through our walls and could stop at mile 21.  He started doing his walk/run which although I know is really beneficial and can be even faster it still mentally defeats me.  It just hurts too bad to start running after walking.  We made it to mile 21 and walked around a little bit looking for a water spout.  I thought for sure I would finish the remainder of the miles running: wrong.  I called it at mile 22.5 and said lets just walk.  The next 4 miles sucked flat out.  Made it 1.5 ‘walking fast’ and then ended up just walking and by the end was doing a walk/stop/stretch/poop/complain rotation over and over.   Looking back I wasn’t fading as much as I thought based on time.  Average at the ‘why did I give in and give up point’ was 9.18/mile.  Overall finished was a little over 10min/mile pace.

Went old school (MS 50 days) and made a sign before the run to make sure I finished. 

 Death afterwards.  GI troubles all afternoon/evening.

 Lesson learned: Will not wear the backpack again without wearing a shirt.  
 It burned so bad when I got in the shower. 


No comments:

Post a Comment