Monday, February 11, 2013

Running on Tired Quads

Sunday was awesome.  13 mile run despite the quads being really fatigued!  The weather was perfect at 71 degrees.  There was a sustained 17mph wind but didn’t feel like it the first half because we were running through neighborhoods.  The last six miles when we were on the open road there was only a tail wind!  This made it easier to keep up the pace.  I was worried at the start because for the first time I had inner right knee pain for the first mile.  It went away right around the mile marker and didn’t return: I’ll have to pay attention to that and make sure it doesn’t become a common trend.   I got a nice little break at mile 4 when we had to stop for the draw bridge to go up and down.  Ate at mile 2-4-6-7-8-10-11 and drank every 1-2 miles.  Nutrition was spot on even though I ended up with salt on my skin for the first time this year.  Not many more runs and I’ll have to start taking my salt pills to be able to survive.   Phil and I were both able to pick up the pace the last mile and a half.  I love when I’m tired but still able to push and be rewarded with a sold time.  The whole run was at a 8:39 pace: exactly the same as the last 13.


Both Saturday and Sunday I was hoarse because of all the mucus I have/had sitting on the back of my throat and coming out of my nose yet looking back at my times I really can’t tell I was fighting a cold.  So much further to go until I’m ready for the 100 but this weekend was solid.  It hurt, I pushed, great times on the garmin, good times in general, and I couldn’t be more excited I’m doing this!

Post solid 13 mile run!

The salt appeared on the skin for the first time since last fall.  The weather is quickly warming up.

I finished off the weekend with a swim to loosen everything up.  Normally I go straight from church to the pool on Sundays because they open at noon right when we get out.  Well since I ran first that wasn't the case.  As I walked in all the lifeguards gave me a hard saying it wasn't 12 and therefore I couldn't swim.  I figured we were on good terms so I asked them to tell me if my swimsuit was see through.  I have no clue and I don't have swimming buddies to make sure I don't embarrass myself.  Thankfully it wasn't and I can keep wearing it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment