Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lesson Learned

Tuesday was a huge learning experience.  I headed out for a run in the morning with 100% humidity and so much fog I couldn’t even see my condo from ½ mile away.  I came back drenched.  I had no goals as far as pace: still trying to work out the quads from the weekend.  I was doing the slow shuffle yet again where the HR doesn’t climb at all.  I was averaging close to 10 min/mile.  Then around 4.5 miles Gary and his friend (training for Big Sur Marathon – how fun!) came up behind me just slightly faster.  I ran with them the next mile plus and picked up to 8:45s no problem.  I love chatting with others.  Gary was asking about my compression sleeves and asked if they made a difference.  Then proceeded to ask if I don’t wear them do I feel naked or get hurt.  My response was “I just feel weird.  They make a difference but now they are also a security blanket.”  I felt dorky but he said he felt that way about his knee brace.  We parted ways and he told me I was an inspiration.  It caught me off guard but also put a smirk on my face where I kept up the pace and ran a few more miles.


Huge lesson learned.  Even if I’m tired and not lifting my legs off the ground 
I should still pick it up.  I'm sure I'll keep relearning this.

On the home stretch I ran into the older man who walks his three puppies every single morning: same time, same route.  We said good morning to each other and then I didn’t catch the next thing he said.  After I said ‘huh” he responded with, “I’m talking to him” in reference to his dog.  He loves those little guys and you can tell they are very well taken care off.

No comments:

Post a Comment